Starting Date: ASAP
Over the last 6 months, Microserve has gone from strength to strength, growing in size and stature and cementing our reputation as one of the most notable agencies in our industry. As part of this exciting period, we have some ambitious projects in the pipeline with a number of our world-renowned clients. To help make our digital delivery the best in the business, we are looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated Senior Drupal developer to join our development team.
About the job
You'll be responsible for planning, building and supporting websites for high profile clients such as WWF, Said Business School and YHA. You'll work alongside our solutions architect to help to identify requirements and plan out technical solutions. As a senior member of the Microserve team, you'll take a lead role on projects, seeing them through to completion, as well as providing support and guidance to less experienced members of the team along the way. You'll be involved in a variety of projects each with particular challenges and problems to solve. You'll get to work with de-coupled or 'headless' technology stacks, eCommerce platforms as well as integrate with external services and handle complex data migrations.
Your day to day will involve:
- Identifying requirements and planning out the technical approach to implement the right solution for our clients.
- Helping develop custom back-end functionality for our clients' websites.
- Building web services and working with various APIs.
- Helping to improve our development methods and practices demonstrating a commitment to quality.
- Keeping up-to-date with the latest development trends and introducing new technologies where relevant and appropriate.
- Providing support and maintenance for our clients' existing websites.
- Supporting other members of Microserve's development team through training, code review and knowledge shares.
From time to time, you'll also:
- Contribute to website audits, providing clients with a thorough analysis of their website's user interface, custom functionality and back-end architecture including recommendations to reduce technical risk and improve efficiency.
- Write blog posts for the Microserve website to discuss web development technologies and approaches to Drupal development.
- Contribute modules and patches to the open source community.
We are looking for someone with 3-4 years of experience in a similar role, who is passionate about web development with a solid understanding of PHP and Object Oriented Programming (OOP) concepts. An interest in PHP frameworks such as Symfony and Laravel would be advantageous. You have strong problem-solving skills, with an awareness and understanding of how financial and technical constraints affect the solutions you provide. You can communicate clearly and confidently, explaining technical concepts in plain English to non-technical staff and clients. You are self-motivated and lead by example, creating a positive environment for the people around you.
Ideally, you'll have been involved in mentoring less experienced developers and are comfortable sharing your knowledge and ideas to help our team grow. You have worked as part of multidisciplinary teams and understand the benefits this can bring.
Have excellent knowledge of PHP and understanding of Object Oriented Programming (OOP) concepts.
Have experience working with APIs e.g. (JSON/XML).
Have experience interacting with databases using SQL.
Experience or familiarity of working with Drupal 7 and 8.
Experience or familiarity with unit testing frameworks.
Have an understanding of version control systems (we use Git).
Have experience of working in a busy agency environment and understand that priorities can change quickly.
Have the ability to understand problems and explain the complexity of them clearly in plain English to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
Have the ability to write clear documentation and understand the need for it.
Have the ability to make decisions quickly and with authority.
Have great communication and interpersonal skills, and a good sense of humour.
Understand the software development lifecycle with a keen interest in user experience.
A few perks
- A friendly and supportive work environment with regular knowledge-sharing events between team members.
- An annual budget for training and personal development.
- Opportunities to gain professional certifications and qualifications.
- Pension scheme with employer contributions.
- Flexible working arrangements considered.
- Your choice of hardware to work on.
- Regular team socials.
- A well-stocked supply of free drinks and snacks.
- Employee Assistance Programme for confidential counselling and advice.
- Brilliant central location in an iconic building with amazing views.
- ‘Bike hub’ with showers, lockers, and space to lock up your bike.
If this sounds like your next role, then please get in touch. Tell us why you would like to work at Microserve and send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What happens next?
If your skills and experience match what we are looking for, we’ll get in touch to arrange a 30-minute telephone interview. The telephone interview is a chance for us to find out more about you and whether you are a good cultural fit for our team. You’ll be able to find out more about Microserve and ask any questions you may have about the role.
Following a successful telephone interview, we’ll invite you into our office for a face to face interview. You’ll have a chance to ask further questions, meet members of our team and take a look around our office and working environment.